As a UNEP centre specialising in environmental data and assessment, GRID-Europe prepares and disseminates timely and understandable environmental information, to raise awareness and improve decision-making processes.
The core tasks carried out by GRID-Europe are grouped in five broad areas. These include:
- provision of early warning on emerging environmental problems and threats;
- support to UNEP's assessment processes, including Global Environment Outlook (GEO), a bi-annual review of the state of the world's environment;
- facilitating networking between UN partner agencies by providing the substantive support to the United Nations System-Wide Earthwatch;
- implementation of capacity building projects to develop and strengthen environmental information systems of partner organisations;
- carrying out of case studies using GIS and remote sensing for the mapping, monitoring and sustainable use of natural resources; and
- provision of technical expertise for meta database and website design and creation.
In addition, GRID-Europe undertakes a wide range of projects in collaboration with UN agencies and to support the global/regional Environmental Conventions that help to fulfil UNEP's mission.
For the period 2010–2013 UNEP will focus its efforts on delivering on its mandate by exercising environmental leadership on six cross-cutting thematic priorities: (a) Climate change; (b) Disasters and conflicts; (c) Ecosystem management; (d) Environmental governance; (e) Harmful substances and hazardous waste; (f) Resource efficiency – sustainable consumption and production. GRID-Europe activities have been sorted by UNEP priority area.